Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Wherein I Realize that my Generosity is not so Feeble

We don’t give as much money to our church as we probably should. We make some gifts to charities outside the church, but even with these, I don’t think we can consider ourselves especially generous. Much of this is due to our being house poor and going into debt to get our house up to snuff: furnace, septic system, plumbing, beams and joists in the basement, roof, etc. We just can’t do any more than we are doing.

And we are taxed out the wazoo. We are compelled to fork over about half our income to support old people, educate children, maintain the poor, and run the government for the “benefit” of all. I would like to think that I would be more generous and make voluntary gifts to provide for some of these things if the government didn’t make me do it. That’s the ticket. I’m really very generous. I just do most of my giving through the various levels of government that tax me.

The sermons in November really had me feeling guilty about my selfishness and miserly giving and about my inability to manage my finances in a way that would let me be more charitable.

How did I respond to this? We took out a mortgage to remodel the bathrooms! This helps the fine folks at E-Loan who underwrote the loan and who did it all with less than a half hour’s effort on our part. This also helps enrich the family that owns the bathroom supply house we used: Bath Bright in Hyde Park. See the knowledgeable and helpful Brian for all of your bathroom remodel needs. This will help enrich Steve and his family at CAS construction, the folks who are doing the work. And think of all the tile makers and folks who make a living making fixtures, not to mention the transportation providers who bring all the stuff in. We are not hoarding our wealth. We are putting it to work in our community and spreading happiness.

This also helps our neighbors because it enhances the value of our home.

I feel better already.

3 comments:

iceberg said...

Vache,

Pray tell how you switched your blog over to the Beta Blogger? I've been searching for a while now, and I can't seem to find the option.

Steve Scott said...

Yeah, VF, was the blogger switch painless? Did you have to get a Google account before or during switching? Any glitches? Thanks.

Vache Folle said...

Iceberg and Steve'

The program nagged me daily to switch and made it pretty easy. I set up my google account at the same time.

Vache Folle