Monday, August 07, 2006

Patriotism and Baseball

I took the nephews to the Renegades game on Friday. Our church had reserved the left field picnic area. There were spectacular fireworks after the game, which the Renegades lost by a single run after an 8th inning rally to tie the game. A good time was had by all.

I meant to make myself scarce for the national anthem, but I got caught in a conversation with a co-religionist and had to walk away during the song. I took a nephew to a trampoline that was set up some distance away. He asked me why we weren’t facing the flag, to which I replied that I didn’t go in for that patriotic mumbo jumbo. “Don’t you say the pledge of allegiance?” he asked. “Not me,” I replied. “I don’t support the government.” I don’t know if my co-religionists disapproved of me or not, and I don’t care all that much.

Later, in the seventh inning, there was yet another moment of patriotic hooey when someone sang “God Bless America”. I was caught by surprise and had to sit it out while my co-religionists stood and faced a picture of a flag on the screen in center field. If I had known about the seventh inning flag idolatry, I would have made myself scarce. I don’t think the crowd realized how silly they all looked standing and facing a picture of a flag. I was led to wonder whether using computer animated fire to burn a computer animated flag would be “desecration” in their eyes.

I reckon I’ll get some grief in choir practice this Thursday, but I’ll take the opportunity to explain my position fully. If they don't like it, I reckon it's their problem.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

Since baseball is the national pastime, I've always believed that the national anthem should be changed to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." It could remain in the 7th inning.