Monday, March 06, 2006

Hedonism Rocked

Sadly, I am back from Negril only two days and already the conspecifics are harshing my mellow. I hope that the mellow surplus I generated last week will carry me through and that I can go on even more apathetic than before in my professional life.

The vacation was great, and I would go back in a heartbeat. In fact, I plan to go back about this time next year if we can swing it. Everything you have heard about Hedonsim II is true. It is a wild place, but within a day you will adapt to the environment and enjoy it. Naked people in the water slide by the disco? Shocking on day one, whatever on day two, you’re one of them on day three. Folks getting busy on the nude beach in broad daylight? Before long, you don’t even take notice. Can’t imagine hanging out on the nude beach in your birthday suit? By the second or third day, it will seem weird if you don’t.

The physical facility at Hedo, as we veterans call it, is a little seedy compared to the affiliated Sandals, Couples, Grand Lido or Beaches resorts nearby, but the people, both staff and other guests, are as relaxed and fun as you could hope for. It is very easy to meet people even if you don’t plan on having sex with them, and we never wanted for amiable companions. The spa was good. The food was not remarkable, but it was varied and plentiful and well prepared. The place is immaculate, and the service is first rate.

The best part of the place is the complete non-judgmental and relaxed attitude of the other guests. For a week, we actually lived the mantra “No problem, mon”, and I hope to hang onto this state of mind for a little while longer.

This is not to say that there were no weirdos, but even they were entertaining. One single man travelling alone referred to my travelling with my wife as "bringing my own sand to the beach". Jokes on him; a better analogy in our case would be "bringing sunscreen to the beach".

No comments: