Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I Am Just Not Into the Yankees

I love the Braves and have since they arrived in Atlanta (I am an expat Georgian). When I lived in Seattle, I grew to love the Mariners.

But since moving to the Empire State, I have not been able to develop any attachment to the Yankees. Naturally, I hate the Mets; that goes without saying. The Yankees are the ultimate professionals and behave well and play well. I can't knock them, but I do not love them and I am completely indifferent to their success or failure. Maybe it's the insufferable Yankees fans that turn me off. These people will turn on a player in a flash, and I suspect that they eat their own young.

My wife has grown fond of the Yankees, especially since they have begun to look like her beloved Mariners with Randy Johnson, Tino Martinez, A-Rod, Luis Sojo (as a coach) and because she admires Derek Jeter. She first became a baseball fan in Seattle, and you never forget your first love. A story she hates for me to tell involves her early forays into fandom. She suggested that we should attend a certain game because the "Big Eunuch" would be pitching. It's funny how few people seem to catch the obvious phallic reference in the actual nickname.

No comments: