Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Politically Incorrect Guide to American History

I bought and am reading the Thomas Woods Politically Incorrect Guide to American History. Woods confronts the received interpretation of a number of events in American history in a lucid and highly readable manner. If I were king, I would decree that this be part of the high school history curriculum as long as public schools are still in operation. I remember the dismay that I felt after reading on my own after my formal education ended, when I realized that everything I had been taught in public school history classes had been distorted into a neat little narrative of progress and enlightenment compliments of the USG.

I imagine that if I had been taught at a tender age that history is open to interpretation I might have found history a lot more interesting. I might also have been less of a tool of the state.

No comments: