Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Consent Withdrawn

I am often confronted by statists with the idea that some state program or policy is part of the "social contract" and unassailable. Education often comes under this argument. Well, for the record, I did not sign any social contract and I do not consent to any such contract. I withdraw any consent given on my behalf by my ancestors or any other person or entity.

And while I am at it, let the record show that I do not consent to the authority of the government of any level. If I obey government edicts, it is under duress and coercion. The government is not legitimate as far as I am concerned.

1 comment:

iceberg said...

I wanted to dub a "implied moral sanction" fallacy, but BKmarcus informed me that it's only an assertion, not a logic error in an argument.

Armed with that, instead I wrote a debunkment of that claim towards the end of a post titled The Rug Merchant of Persia.