Friday, May 02, 2008

I Fought the Heron, and the Heron Won

Yesterday, I received my heron decoys. I installed my life sized fake heron, a fake alligator, and a couple of fake koi. I was feeling pretty smug about having outsmarted the heron, the destroyer of frogs, scourge of the fishes. This morning, less than 24 hours later, I opened the door to let the dogs out and sighted the heron fishing right beside the alligator. Mrs Vache Folle had told me this would happen, and now I'll have to put with her insinuations about my intelligence relative to that of a large grey fisheating bird.

To add insult to injury, a pair of mallards occupied the pond for a couple of hours. MY decoys seem to work as a kind of welcome sign for water fowl.

I have decided to tell myself that I am keeping the pond for the heron, doing my part to help out an endangered species.

No comments: