Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Will Kids Turn Gay if Exposed to Happy Gays?

My car pool conspecific (let's call him Dan) has three little children, aged 5,4 and 2 (Irish triplets?), the older two being boys. He does not want his children to know about the existence of gays because he is afraid that they will somehow "catch" gay. Thus, he opposes references to alternative lifestyles in children's media and literature, openly gay teachers, and openly gay parishoners in his church. He hasn't been able to explain to me the mechanism by which gayness would be transmitted, but it seems to boil down to a belief that acceptability of homosexuality would increase the likelihood of his children's embracing it.

I suppose if one is a homosexual but grows up in an anti-gay community, one might be more likely to stay in the closet than if one grows up in an open and affirming community. If homosexuality were seen as morally and socially equal to heterosexuality, might not more people adopt homosexual lifestyles even if they were not genetically homosexual? Are some people wavering on the cusp of homosexuality/heterosexuality without a strong inborn preference? I don't know why anyone should care if this were the case and homosexuality abounded. I wonder if the ratio of gay to straight would be significantly larger in a gay paradise of tolerance and affirmation. Would this be cause for alarm?

I grew up in the Bible Belt and never even knew there was such a thing as homosexuality until I was about 16 (evidently each Southern town has only one homosexual). At that time, some of my school conspecifics discovered homosexuality and figured out that they were gay. They wisely relocated to urban areas. I was probably lucky in some respects to be sexually naive since I never learned to dislike anyone on account of his sexual orientation. I did not turn gay with my schoolmates even after I was exposed to homosexuality, and they did turn gay even though they had not been exposed to it in their tender years and even though they knew their lifestyle would put them on the margins of society and on a path to hellfire.

Based on my limited experience then and through my adult life, I suspect that the gay/straight ratio is more or less fixed by genetic factors and that an open and affirming society would result in greater happiness for homosexuals with no deleterious impact on society or human fertility.

There is no telling whether a free society would be more likely to become open and affirming. At least, gays and the people who hate them would have to leave each other alone.

No comments: