Thursday, February 14, 2008

This is the Day the Lord Has Made

Yesterday, it rained all day and into the night, and much of the snow that had fallen the day before began to melt. Last night, temperatures dropped. This morning, the world, especially that part of the world that I call my driveway, is covered with a sheet of ice. Friction is no longer a phenomenon that pertains on my driveway or on a wide swath of the road in front of my house. When my neighbors built a retaining wall a few years ago, water flow was diverted down the hillside and onto the road where it spreads out in a sheet before cascading down my driveway. It is truly a beautiful sight to behold. How the ice sheet glistens in the morning sun.

The ice sheet also presents an opportunity to test one's dexterity and agility in a low friction environment. I do this by affixing two large, ill trained dogs to leashes and trying to stay on my feet while they pull me as they chase squirrels or crows. I continue this exercise up the road a ways and dodge the occasional motor vehicle that careeens down the icy road barely under control. Hills are a real treat. I managed to stay upright, and the dogs seemed to enjoy being useful as my trainers.

In a few moments, I get to test my ability to drive a car in extreme conditions. There may just enough dry patches to get up a good head of steam and to get on the part of the road where driving is just barely possible. The Taconic State Parkway will be like the demolition derby, and I get to drive on it for 30 miles! Wheeeeeee! The best part about foul weather driving is the mentality of many SUV drivers. They reckon that the laws of physics no longer apply to them in their special vehicles. God bless their stupid hearts.

No comments: