Monday, February 04, 2008

Bitching About Reparations for Slavery

We went out on Saturday with some friends of ours who, inexplicably, support the GOP. When they speak about issues, they mostly sound like Hillary Clinton supporters, but they support the GOP mindlessly. They are in complete denial about the corruption and incompetence of the party and don't even seem to notice that the base of the party is batshit insane.

We got into a discussion about reparations for slavery and how they didn't reckon, being descended from relatively recent immigrants, that they should have to pay for reparations. I reckoned that I shouldn't have to pay for a lot of things, such as educating my neighbors' children, but they didn't agree. They just wanted any injustice to black people or Indians to be forgotten and for the world to move on. The world has moved on, although the injustice has not been forgotten.

I'm not a booster of reparations, mind you, but I don't go out of my way to bitch about the hypothetical unfairness of hypothetically having to finance hypothetical reparations for a real injustice that was actually perpetrated. Let's just say that slavery was bad and that I'm ashamed that any ancestor of mine had a slave. It's probably too late to do justice, but that's nothing to celebrate.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

I'm a direct descendant of a white slave in the colonial south. Reparations for me?