Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What Does the White Striped Calf Signify?

Just up the road is beautiful Kiyiwana Farms with its pastures set on the rolling hillsides and its several acre pond. This farm specializes in belted cattle that I have been told are belted galloways. This link will tell you anything you might want to know about the breed and includes pictures:
http://www.beltie.org/

Most folks who are not versed in cattle breeds just call them “Oreo Cookie” cows. They are black in the front and back with a wide white stripe around the middle. Some are brown with a white stripe or belt. There are quite a few suckling calves this year with several color schemes. Sometimes, there will be a belted cow with an all black calf, and this leads me to speculate that there is an angus “in the woodpile”. Most of the little guys are belted, though. One of them has a spectacularly white belt. It is not the off white, creamy color of its conspecifics; it is bleached out, glow in the dark white. Mrs Vache Folle attributes this to its mother who appears to be obsessed with licking her offspring clean, but I reckon that the underlying pigmentation is different. No amount of cow spit can make a calf this white. It is likely visible from space; that’s how white and reflective it is. Did I mention that the calf’s belt was really, really white?

I suspect from the emotional response that I have when I see it that the appearance of this calf is s sign of some sort. My grandparents would have known what it signified. Everything they did was guided by the “signs”, but I never paid any heed to the lore they were sharing. The appearance of some plant or animal or meteorological phenomenon out of its normal pattern or sequence was almost always a sign. I had no use at the time for what I considered montagnard superstitious mumbo jumbo. Now, I wish I knew how to read the signs.

I feel it in my gut that there are signs all around me but that I am unable to interpret them. I don’t think the white calf is an evil omen. I actually feel good when I see him, so it might be something good. It may not have anything especially to do with me, but it would be nice to know why the calf has such an effect on me and has appeared in dreams.

No comments: